What is FASTag and how do I use it?
Published By: LogiPe on July 4, 2022
The modern economy is moving fast towards a cashless model, making transactions more straightforward and unified across various platforms. Cashless methods also save time and are easier to track. FASTag is one such digitization initiative that applies to many in the transport and logistics sector.
Caption: FASTag uses RFID technology to automate fee payments at toll booths.
What is FASTag?
FASTag is a cashless payment method of toll fees implemented on toll plazas all over India. It allows vehicle owners to digitally pay their toll fees while driving through a toll plaza. It uses RFID technology and a barcode sticker to enable the authorities to collect the required fees from the driver. Each vehicle has its FASTag ID, and all payments are made automatically.
Why is FASTag important?
FASTag has various advantages. It reduces the time spent in toll booths as payments are made automatically while driving through them. It also eliminates the need to carry cash on the road. FASTag helps streamline payments as SMS alerts are sent regularly to drivers. Further, there is an online portal that helps track payments. In the future, it could become a multi-utility payment tool as well.
How to purchase FastTags
There are multiple methods for obtaining FASTag. We shall see how to get FASTag below.
From a bank
Vehicle owners can get FASTag for their vehicles directly from banks the following way:
- Visit a bank that offers FASTag registration and fill in the required forms.
- Submit the form along with mandatory documents.
- Pay the registration fee, along with the initial top-up.
After processing the request, the bank sends the FASTag to the applicant’s address.
From an online payment provider
You can also use online payment providers like PayTM or Airtel Payments Bank to obtain FASTag online. The procedure is as follows.
- Open the FASTag section in the digital payment app.
- Apply for a new FASTag.
- Upload any required documents.
- Pay the required fees.
The vehicle owner will receive the FASTag a few days after the application.
From online bank portals
Most leading banks also have online portals for FASTag registration. Here we learn how to get FASTag online.
- Open the relevant online bank portal.
- Register/sign in to your bank account.
- Fill in the required details, and upload the required documents.
- Pay the fees as are necessary for processing the application.
The FASTag is delivered to your address shortly afterwards.
At the toll booth
You may directly get a FASTag at the toll booth. For this, you need to carry the required documents with you.
- Fill in the application form at the toll plaza.
- Submit required documents of identification and vehicle ownership.
- Pay the fees for the registration of FASTag.
The officials at the plaza will verify the documents and provide the FASTag on the spot.
From specific stores
Some online payment providers like PayTM also authorize FASTag purchases from physical stores. To use this method, follow the given steps.
- Use the digital payment app to find local stores which provide FASTag.
- Visit the store with the required documents and fill in the application form.
- You will be able to pick up your FASTag from there.
With LogiPe, you can manage FASTag payments without any extra charges. It is a complete fleet management solution with expense management, driver management, and lending services.
How to activate FASTag?
There are two ways of activating FASTag: offline and online.
The tag is already activated if you purchased FASTag at a bank. So you only have to go to the bank and follow the usual steps above for FASTag registration. When the new FASTag is sent to your address, it arrives activated and with login credentials for the online portal.
If you obtained FASTag at an online store or a PoS terminal (at a toll booth), you would have to activate FASTag on your own. To do this, you should do the following:
- Install the My FASTag app.
- Select the platform from which you purchased the FASTag.
- Scan the QR code on the FASTag, and input any required vehicle details.
- Finally, you can activate your FASTag and link a prepaid bank account.
Documents needed for FASTag application
Depending on whether you register for FASTag as an individual or a corporation, you have different requirements.
For individual registration
If you are applying as an individual, here are the documents required for FASTag :
- Individual PAN card
- Any one of the following Identity and address proof:
- Voter ID card
- Aadhaar card
- Driver’s license
- Vehicle registration certificate
- Any appropriate KYC documents for the vehicle
For a corporation
If you’re applying for FASTag for a corporation, you need the following documents.
How to recharge FASTag?
Once you have FASTag, you need to recharge it regularly. Below we discuss how to recharge FASTag in various ways.
Here we see how to recharge FASTag online using UPI.
- Choose your regular standard UPI application.
- Enter the UPI id for your FASTag, along with the bank handle.
- Enter the required sum for recharge and your UPI key.
This completes the recharge of FASTag from UPI.
On My FASTag app
We can also recharge FASTag from My FASTag app. Follow the steps below.
- Open My FASTag and choose the bank which has your prepaid account.
- Type in your vehicle registration number.
- Validate the VPA ID.
- You will be redirected to a UPI application to complete the rest of the payment steps.
Via Net Banking
You can learn how to recharge FASTag online via net banking below.
- Log in to your regular net banking site.
- Select “NETC FASTag recharge”.
- Choose the correct FASTag number associated with the vehicle.
- Enter the proper amount to recharge and complete the transaction via credit/debit card or regular net banking.
Offline top-up at a toll booth
We can also recharge FASTag offline at a toll plaza.
Customers will also receive instant SMS confirmation of recharge.
Using an external payment aggregator
An external payment aggregator like Bharat Billpay also can be used to recharge FASTag.
- Log in to the chosen payment aggregator on the portal.
- Choose “FASTag recharge”.
- Enter the required amount for recharge and complete payment in a convenient form via credit/debit card, UPI or net banking.
FASTag is an efficient means of toll fee collection in India today. Choosing FASTag helps save time and money while making payments on the road. Here at LogiPe, we support FASTag management with no extra fees. We also help monitor driver payments to keep track of expenses. Visit our site today to learn more about these features and try our product.